Monday, March 15, 2010

Seventh Commandment Activities





Seventh Commandment: You Shall Not Steal (Catholic)


Do you respect property?
Do you steal – even small things? Or big things?
Do you vandalize or break other people’s property? For example, write on other people’s books?
Do you vandalize public property?
Do you borrow things and purposely not return them?
Have you kept others from having what they deserve?
Have I retained what I know belongs to another?
Have I cheated or defrauded others?
Have I made unjust bargains or contracts?
Have I refused or neglected to pay any debts?
Have I willfully delayed payment?
Have I neglected my duties or been slothful in my work?
Do I not use the things I have wisely?
Do I fail to treat my things with respect?
Have I stolen what is not mine?
Have I returned or made restitution for what I have stolen?
Do I waste time at work, school or at home?
Do I gamble excessively, thereby denying my family of their needs?
Do I pay my debts promptly?
Do I seek to share what I have with the poor?


Lesson 20: The Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, and Tenth Commandments of God- (The New Saint Joseph Baltimore Catechism, No. 1, page 95-99). For younger students.

Lesson 20: The Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, and Tenth Commandments of God- (The New Saint Joseph Baltimore Catechism, No. 2, page 127-132). For older students.

catholicity.com- Lesson 20 from the Baltimore Catechism (no questions at end of lesson as in the book above)

cin.org- The Baltimore Catechism

scborromeo.org- Catechism of the Catholic Church

You Shall Not Steal- Stories, crafts, games, prayer, and adventure. (Kids' Travel Guide to the 10 Commandments by Carol Mader, page 81-89).



Coloring:

churchhousecollection.com- Thou shalt not steal (scroll down to bottom for this)



Crafts:

churchhousecollection.com- Thou Shalt Not Steal Toilet Paper Roll Craft

churchhousecollection.com- Thou Shalt Not Steal Cut Out Craft



Games:


What’s Missing?

Need: Several common small objects

Directions: Place several small objects on a tray or table in front of the students where they all can see (number of objects that are age appropriate). Have the students name each object as you point to them. Students hide their eyes while the teacher removes one object. Then the students look and guess which object is missing. Who ever guesses right gets to remove an object and have everyone guess "What's Missing".




Thief!: Players are given situations and they must identify whether or not they are breaking the 7th Commandment. They also must state what they are obliged to do for their sin.



Introduction: Stealing is taking something that does not belong to you without asking. It is not borrowing, or finding something, or owning something, or having something with permission. It is taking something from someone else. Besides stealing, the seventh commandment forbids cheating, keeping things that are not ours, and accepting bribes by public officials.

We are commanded by the seventh commandment to respect what belongs to others, to live up to our business agreements, to pay our just debts and to not charge an exorbitant rate of interest when lending to another. We must also use the things we have wisely and treat our things with respect. In addition, this commandment includes that we do not keep others from having what they deserve or borrow things and not returning them.



Puzzles & Worksheets:

web.archive.org- Look under 10 Commandments for worksheets


These activities are free, however they can only to be used for classroom and personal use. They may not be published on any websites or other electronic media, or distributed in newsletters, bulletins, or any other form or sold for profit.


Thou Shalt Not Steal- Word Search

Seventh Commandment- Word Jumble

Thou Shalt Not Steal- Crossword



Bible Story:

Achan- lesson plan for 1st grade on up with: Objectives, Review, Vocabulary Words, Bible Story with questions, Activities, Crafts, Games, Snacks, Puzzles/Mazes/Worksheets, etc.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just wow!! Thank God I found this!This really helps me a lot..God bless you more..

Amazing_Grace said...

You're welcome, Leigh Ann! If you need anything, just let us know. :)